Monday, August 29, 2011

Summer Intern Reflections


Katy Strader with Tamarindos

I feel both excited and overwhelmed at the idea of attempting to write a final reflection on my short time with the Tamarindos. John said to me daily, “You simply cannot put us or this place in a box. We are constantly adjusting to the needs of this ever-changing community”. How do I find the words to describe the immense welcome, love and grace that each and every one of them showed me from the moment Douglas picked me up at the San Salvador airport on July 20th, until my last night in Guarjila, where we celebrated as a community my despedida? We were all hopeful that night saying “see you later”, rather than “goodbye”.

I admit that at first I had no idea what to expect of my time in Guarjila. However, slowly but surely, my role developed into exactly what it was supposed to be, and I was able to do what God intended me to do while I was there. He showed me that it did not mean my English classes at the middle, high school or Tamarindo would go perfectly smoothly. Or that regardless of the fact that Rafa, Jaime, and Carlitos came to the Tamarindo with their beautiful smiles, that life at home was far from it. Life in Guarjila, and especially at the Tamarindo, is a beautiful paradox that is both pleasantly surprising some moments and heart-breaking at others.

The prayer of St. Francis (…where there is hatred let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon, etc.) that is written on the wall of the Tamarindo reflects this irony that is everywhere in Guarjila – a place, along with much of the world, that is so burdened by abuse, dishonesty, and selfishness, but yet the Tamarindos try to go against what is normal here and do those things that are much more difficult – like love, respect, and serve others. We are all called to be a light in the darkness. The Tamarindos are the light for the community of Guarjila and they encouraged me to be a light in Indianapolis, at Depauw, and everywhere I go. Thank you, Tamarindos - you showed me peace, love, pardon, faith, hope, light, joy, consolation, and understanding.


Sarah Schrading with Ingrid and Ana

This past Summer I took a trip to Guarjila, El Salvador, with my dad for 2 weeks. I planned on doing some sort of travel this summer, and I also wanted to do a service project. I'm a high school student from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and a bunch of my friends were going on "service trips" to third world countries, where they would be doing hard labor like building schools and clinics. I asked my dad about these trips and his answer was that they were very expensive, and that we should just take a trip down to El Salvador and visit John Guiliano (My father and John worked together in El Salvador during the civil war). I agreed to go on the trip but I wasn't completely sure what I was getting into. When we arrived in Guarjila, I soon met the two Interns that had come from Stanford to work at the Tamarindo, and they showed me around the town. On my first day there, I already had countless amigos. One thing I quickly noticed was how little some people had, but I never heard them complain. I thought about my world back home and how many people spend $150 on designer jeans and consider the world completely over if they miss a party…

My trip to El Salvador opened my mind on a whole new level. I'd find myself waking up at 4:30 in the morning to go work on the Milpa with my friend Gio and his brothers, something I'd never do when I was back home. I was also given the opportunity to teach English in a school with Amy and Peter, the other interns. Teaching kids at school was funny because they were my age, and were the same people that I would joke around with in the evenings at the Tamarindo.

What I found is that the Tamarindo gives the people of Guarjila a chance to dream. Growing up, I remember always saying that I wanted to be a ballerina or a doctor. The Tamarindo gives the youth a sense of confidence, high hopes for the future, and ways to accomplish their dreams.

Even though I was only down there for two short weeks, I believe that any place where kids have recreation, encouragement, education, and opportunities, that the world would be a better place. I miss everyone dearly and talk to my friends about the Tamarindos constantly since being back home. But John repeatedly told me, "This is your community now, Sarah." And I think he is right. I hope to return to Guarjila and to work and be a part of the Tamarindo next summer for a longer period of time!

Peter Salazar

As I reflect, I’m forced to confront the reality, frustrating though it may be, that I didn’t complete any great or magnificent works during my month there. What work this gringo did is nothing compared to that which the conscientious individuals of Guarjila carry out in patience and solidarity every day. I realize, now, that it wasn’t my place to give and teach alone, but also to receive and learn, truly learn, what it is to live outside of myself. I hope that I may have planted a few seeds, but I am nonetheless humbled by the goodness of many in this town in the face of trials and adversity.

More than anything else, my stay taught me what it is to live outside of myself, to be truly concerned and attentive to the needs of others before my own. This was a thing that I learned from observing the work that is done here. That’s why the label of a “community organization” just doesn’t seem appropriate. The Tamarindo is the result of people loving and caring for others, and for that it is at the same time simpler and greater than any organization could ever become. John often spoke of the “revolution”, and only now do I think that I realize what it really means: the work of building the kingdom on earth cannot be left to a particular political or social ideology, but only to the simple and magnificent love of people for their brothers and sisters; in short, seeing the body of Christ in all of His people. This idea, not any organization, has the power to create a revolution in the world in which we live. I thank them for teaching me that, and I hope that I can aid them and your vision in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment