Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fall Update from John

We are about to take our hockey team to Guatemala for the Guatemalan National Championship Series. We are taking a very young team who have dedicated themselves to a rigorous month of preparation. They are disciplined and in excellent condition so they should do very well. For most of the guys it’s their first time out of the country; everyone is excited. We are trying to keep the gang focused and relaxed. The guys are so funny, everyone seems cool about playing but nervous about what snacks we’re buying for the trip.

I think the Guatemalan’s are intimidated......El Salvador is coming to town.

I want to thank Luis Lopez who has done a truly amazing job as team captain helping me prepare the team and get this trip underway. INDES (National Institute of Sport) has also been great helping with travel documents and transportation.

In addition to our games, I will be doing a three day clinic there with coaches focusing on player development and team strategy. We will also begin to discuss the creation of a Central American Hockey Union which will help each national federation develop the sport, create a partnership between all of us working in the game in the region, and hopefully create a Central American League where in the future the Central American champion could play in the Pan Am Games and Word Championships (huge goals).

After Guatemala, the crew (Luis, Gio, Cobra, Rosibel and Noemi) will take over in the Tamarindo as I begin a much needed mini-sabbatical. If you are looking you will be able to find me at johnguiliano@gmail.com. If not there maybe you will find me meditating inside of the Izalco Volcano, or walking the Golden Gate Bridge, or sitting at the oyster bar at the Union Oyster House, or discerning life before a Van Gogh at the Met but most likely I’ll be sitting down the third baseline at Yankee Stadium.

I am so grateful to all who have made our trip to Guatemala possible, without you nothing happens.

I’m also so thankful for your support of me (I know I am challenging sometimes). I thank you for all your prayers, love and support and look forward to hearing or seeing you soon (somewhere along the line). With great affection,

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment