Thursday, October 6, 2011

Mike Qualters' Ironman Campaign Results

IRONMAN CAMPAIGN A SUCCESS!
By Tamarindo Foundation President, Mike Qualters

Even though the recent Ironman race has come and gone, your generosity will benefit the Tamarindo for months to come.

As many of you know, I participated in my first Ironman Distance Triathlon on August 28, 2011, in Louisville, Kentucky. While I've been doing Tri's for many years, this particular distance was a new challenge. The Ironman consists of a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run. I was happy to dedicate the training, preparation and the race to the Tamarindos, a group who know a thing or two about hard work, difficult circumstances and perseverance.

A week before the race, an on-line campaign was created and advertised via e-mail and on the Tamarindo Foundation FaceBook Page - the race was on. In a little over 3 weeks, $6600 was raised.

Race day was amazing and I can't thank you enough for your support. The response to the fundraiser was tremendous and the number of you who followed my progress on-line throughout the race, and those who e-mailed, texted and called with well wishes, were all really appreciated.

A special thanks to a friend, Rich Doppelfeld, who followed me around the course and supplied updates and pictures to John Guiliano in El Salvador, who, while following along on-line, also created updates for everyone on FaceBook. I also wanted to give a big thank you to another friend, Steve Klipsch, who so generously donated a matching gift for the money raised; and finally, to the Tamarindos, who participated in their own Endurance Day in Guarjila and were with me in solidarity for all 140.6 miles. Thank you for inspiring me everyday.

Thank you again for all for your support in this event!

No comments:

Post a Comment